Sitecore 9 Analytics Dashboard/Reporting Database updating very Slow?
Your Sitecore Analytics Dashboard is not updating properly or updating very Slow?
Sitecore Analytics Dashboard is based on the Reporting database, all analytics data are coming from this database only, which means the data is not updating in the reporting database properly.
Are you facing the same problem, Processing server/Aggregation Agent issue, where data(interaction and Contacts) are properly storing in the collection database but not updating into the reporting database, or updating very slow?
If yes, then this blog might help you.
I also faced the same issue on my restricted scaled Sitecore 9 Production environment, with no internet connectivity.
In My scenario, I had the separate reporting and processing server, where data was connected from all the servers properly:
- CD is connected to Xconnect
- Xconnect is storing the data in the collection database properly
- Processing server connected with reporting database
- CM server is reading the data from the Reporting Database.
Everything was fine, but data was updating to reporting database very slow(around 10 records in a one Hours), we did the basic troubleshooting as below:
- Increased the maxAgents to 16 in Sitecore.Analytics.Processing.Services.config
- Tunned the Sitecore.Analytics.Processing.Aggregation.Services.config
- Tuned the Sitecore.Analytics.Processing.Aggregation.ProcessingPools.config
But no luck and records in the “InteractionLiveProcessingPool” table in the “Processing.Pools” database were keep growing and aggregation agents were stuck to processed the record, resulted very slow updating in reporting database and Sitecore analytics dashboard.
After further research we found out that “Root Cause” the problem was the “Device Detection Database” error.
We need to disable this service, as the service is blocked the processing agent as device detection was not configured on the production server.
Check the below Hotfix from Sitecore if you are using below Sitecore 9 version
For Sitecore XP 9.0 rev. 171002 (Initial Release): https://dl.sitecore.net/hotfix/SC Hotfix 204620-1 Sitecore CES 2.1.0.zip
For Sitecore XP 9.0 rev. 171219 (Update-1)
https://dl.sitecore.net/hotfix/SC Hotfix 205547-1 Sitecore CES 2.1.1.zip See the readme.txt file inside the archive for installation instructions.
Or Disabled the service if you not using or configured, in my case I was not using this service so I just disabled this service as below:
- Go to \App_Config\Sitecore\DeviceDetection.Client.config
- Change the below setting to false:<setting name="DeviceDetection.Enabled" value="false" />
And magic happened, analytics was working fine:
Hope this article will help you!