Why should you choose the right CMS for any E-commerce?
Strong CMS is the key success for any E-commerce Project!
So before starting this topic, let me introduce some interesting fact about the e-commerce industry:
- There were ~1.66 Billion Global Digital Buyers in 2017 out of ~7.6 billion people in the World, ~22% populations Buys Online
- In 2018, E-Commerce Sales Accounted for ~11.9% of All Retail Sales Worldwide
- There Are More Than 254 Million Active PayPal Accounts in the World
- 33% of UK online sales occur after 6 pm, and marketers are more active after 6 PM
- 35% of all the online customers abandon online store if the website loads too slowly or is heavy.
- Smartphone penetration is ~70% in the world and some country has more than 90%
- Growth of e-commerce market from ~$1336B in 2014 to ~$2982B in 2018 and expected $6542B in 2023
*Source - www.statista.com
The need for speed: Time-To-Market Acceleration Is the Ultimate Retail Differentiator and for competitive advantage
Nowadays, Speed is the Key for business sustainability including your new product launch, your website page load speed, your content changes on the website, to fix the bugs, to update the new feature of the mobile app, to beat the competition etc.
Are you planning to set up your new E-commerce project or want to optimise or audit the existing E-commerce product? Then you have to look at all the technology stack which is directly or indirectly associated with your e-commerce business.
The most important factor is the strong CMS capability of e-commerce.
Modern Content Management Systems helps web marketers move fast and stay competitive, optimise content, and manage costs.
In this dynamic world, you can’t rely on the developers or IT team support for frequent changes in the production environment, and marketers are doing lots of changes on the mobile and website based on the business needs.
But the question is – what types of changes can a marketer do without any code changes, deployment, mobile apps update etc.
“CMS is only for contents.”
This is the biggest perception of Marketer and IT team, which means you can only manage the content from the CMS system, but the reality is different if the project is been implemented in the right technology architecture manners.
As I am working on different CMS solutions for big enterprise organisation from the last 12 years, and based on my experience, below are the Key advantages which Marketers can get if they choose the right CMS product for any e-commerce system:
- Content changes – change product information based on any language and versioning
- Non-technical users to add, edit and manage a website.
- - changing product sequences
- - editing product description
- - changing product prices
- - add / removing discount codes
- - adding blogs etc
- Setup – Multisite and Multi-Tenant website and mobile apps, based on the Entity, country and language
- Component changes – change the order of the component in the website and mobile device,
- Create the campaign pages on the FLY
- Create a campaign and lead form on the Fly
- Create the whole governance of the content change using strong workflow
- Manage whole media library – Images, document and videos
- Host complete website based on CMS where each element
- Disable and Enable the component of the page
- Change the setting of the component based on parameter – colour, size, play with some element of the component
- Catalogue management – with all the CMS features
- Inventory management – with all the CMS features
- multi-lingual, multi-currency and multi-channel
- Insight-driven personalisation– more contextual offers to the customer based on run-time behaviour
- SEO support
- Strong analytics to optimise the content and component of the website and mobile apps
- Social media integration
- Tracking and analytics
- Reporting, dashboarding and Personalization
- Content tagging based on AI
- Content translation
So technically, all above feature must be in your checklist before choosing the right CMS platform.
Architecture planning is very important, regardless of which the channel you are planning for your e-commerce – mobile app, websites, hybrid etc.
Sometimes we get the right product and technology but fail to implement in the right architecture manner due to lack of expertise. So the right talent is also very important to implement any key project.
I highly recommend Sitecore as a single platform for Ecommerce and Content Management System.
If you are already using the Sitecore platform as a CMS and want to explore in commerce business, then Sitecore commerce would be a perfect choice.
I hope you like this article, feel free to connect me on twitter https://twitter.com/sitecore_ashish